Monday, May 30, 2011

Change!

So I'm going to be changing the way and what I blog about.  First off, I'm changing the title and layout (although you probably already noticed that!).  While I was originally just going to talk about my journey through clean I'm going to start branching out and talk about how we are going to "clean" or detox our lives, talking more about food in general, and sharing some healthy and not so healthy recipes.

So whats happened since my last entry with clean?  Not a whole lot.  I made the decision on Friday to go off the program for the weekend.  Mostly because I knew it would be too hard for me to resist a hamburger on Memorial Day.  I had my hamburger smothered in cheese sauce and I have to say I made the right choice!  Although I also ate a ton of watermelon and cherries too.  Nothing makes me happier than all the fresh fruit in summer.  I also took the opportunity to make some chili (recipe below).  One thing I have noticed though since being on and off clean is that my cravings have all but ended.  While I still want things, say a Krispy Kreme donut, if I really think about it in my head yes I do want it, but I don't crave it and can now realize I just don't need it and move on.  I even had a cookie (oatmeal raisin from the Whole Foods bakery) the other day that I ended up just throwing away because I found it was way too sweet for me now.  Food is just starting to taste different, but in a good way.  I can also no longer stand the taste of soda (regular/zero/diet) so I just stick to water, coconut water, or tea (that we make), which is better anyway.  Tomorrow though we were back on clean.

So our chili recipe is below, I don't claim to be an expert or anything and we are constantly changing it.  Also while we used canned tomatoes this past time we will probably switch that due to the fact that they are now finding BPA in canned vegetables.  I think the next we make this I will try just buying some organic tomatoes, cutting them in half and roasting them on the grill and then crushing them and adding them to the chili.  You could easily cut this in half or freeze it for later.

Chili Recipe - Makes 6 hearty portions or 8 regular portions

  • 1 large onion, diced 
  • 3 to 4 cloves of organic garlic, diced
  • 1 1b of grass-feed organic ground beef (other options in include organic turkey (if trying to cut the fat) or lamb, or a combination of them.  You can go vegetarian just by increasing the beans)
  • 8 oz organic black beans (dry that have soaked overnight)
  • 8 oz organic kidney beans (dry that have soaked overnight)
  • 2 28 oz cans of Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (we use Muir Glen Organic)
  • 1 Organic Beef, Turkey, Chicken or Vegetable Stock (we only use this if the beans start to soak up too much liquid and add it as needed to give us the consistency we like)
  • 3 to 5 thai green or habanero chilies, diced 
  • 1 package of frozen organic corn (we use frozen because you can also find it)
  • Chili Powder
  • Cayenne Red Chili Powder
  • Cumin
  • Coriander
  • Hot Sauce
  • Sea Salt
  • Ground Pepper
  • Olive Oil

Start by sautéing the onion, chilies and garlic in a small amount of olive oil in a hot pan.  After a few minutes add the meat and brown until fully cooked.  We also add in a few dashes of the spices (chili powder, cayenne, cumin, coriander, pepper & a couple shakes of hot sauce) at this time to help add flavor to the meat itself.  We don't really measure anything, we just do it based on our own taste, generally just two or three shakes at this point.  Once it is done remove the pan from the heat and drain off any fat/excess liquid.  We then place the meat into a large Crockpot and add the beans, frozen corn & canned tomatoes.  At this time we will also add additional spices (chili powder, cayenne, cumin, coriander, pepper & a couple shakes of hot sauce) to the sauce and mix everything together.  We will then set the Crockpot to high and leave it for the next 6 to 8 hours (or however long it takes the beans to fully cook - you'll know when they are done, theres nothing worst than the taste of an undercooked bean!) checking on it every hour or so.  If you don't have a Crockpot you could easily leave it simmering on the stove (I used to make mine in a large dutch oven).  As it cooks we add the stock as needed when we check on it to get the correct consistency and to keep it from drying out.  Towards the end we will once again adjust the spices and add salt to taste.  You may find that you need more salt than you would normally add to things since the only ingredient you added that contained some level of salt was the tomatoes.


In a previous entry I talked about the fact that we were looking to try a protein powder that wasn't soy, wheat or egg based (sticking with the elimination diet).  We ended up buying Nutiva organic hemp protein powder (it also has the addition of fiber).  Although we also found a brown rice protein powder we may try as well.  While it changes the color of our smoothies to something that resembles a swamp, I have to say its not bad.  In our smoothies that contain cinnamon or other spices you don't even notice it.  It fruit smoothies it adds a nutty flavor which is nice since we often use almond milk.




In addition to just doing the clean program and being stricter about what we buy (we have now almost switched over to purchasing everything we can organic) I decided its time to start phasing out all our old cleaning products and beauty products, etc as they need to be replaced.  A great starting resource is the EWG Skin Deep Cosemtics Database (EWG = Environmental Working Group).  As almost everyone knows trying to determine what is good and bad at the store as far as anything from toothpaste to shampoo can be confusing as all get out.  Especially with so many companies using terms like "natural" on packaging for everything these days.  The other problem is many brands that people just think are safe and purchase blindy, such as Tom's of Maine or Burt's Bees are now owned by larger companies who have changed the original formulas and made them just as toxic as everything else on the market.  So while you think you are getting a better product, and generally paying a higher price, the sad truth is you aren't.  Over the weekend I tried to research four things I knew needed to be replaced:  toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner & body wash.  Now I thought it would be pretty easy, boy was I wrong - especially when it came to the shampoo and conditioner.  Everything is either toxic or cost $30 a bottle (for the shampoo I'm just looking into making our own).  As we get things and try them out I'll let you know how they work out.  

Trying to be an informed consumer is just exhausting!

2 comments:

  1. Talk about an informed consumer! I thought I was pretty informed until I read your comment about Tom's of Maine.... aaarrghhh.

    Great change for your blog! I liked the other one, but I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Tom's of Maine is now owned by Colgate-Palmolive. They have been for several years. I actually basically got burned buying some of there deodorant. I'm going to talk about that in todays entry.

    ReplyDelete